MATHCOUNTS provides engaging math programs to US middle school students of all ability levels to build confidence and improve attitudes about math and problem solving.
The MATHCOUNTS Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that reaches students in grades 6-8 in all US states and territories with 2 extracurricular math programs. Hundreds of thousands of students participate in our programs or use our resources each year.
There are many paths to
success in math. We help
all students discover theirs.
Our approach is simple.
We make learning math fun. We believe middle school is a critical juncture when a love of math must be encouraged, and a fear of math must be overcome. Our programs build problem solving skills and positive attitudes about math, so students embrace challenges and expand their academic and career opportunities in the future.
- Click here to download a copy of our 990 form.
- Click here to download our audited financial statements.
- Click here to read our 2022-2023 Annual Report
MATHCOUNTS Competition Series
We cultivate talent in the nation's brightest young minds through the MATHCOUNTS Competition Series. We bring together students from all 50 states in a series of in-person contests—the only competition program of its kind.
The National Math Club
We inspire curiosity and build confidence in students of all levels through the National Math Club. We help create a space where learning math is fun, social and supportive, so that every student becomes a lifelong math learner.
- 1983: MATHCOUNTS Foundation is established in February by the National Society of Professional Engineers, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and CNA Insurance.
- 1983: The MATHCOUNTS Competition Series is launched in the fall, with the first School Handbook released to U.S. middle schools nationwide.
- 1984: The first MATHCOUNTS National Competition takes place at George Washington University, May 18-19, bringing together students from 47 states plus the District of Columbia.
- 2007: The National Math Club is launched in the fall (as the MATHCOUNTS Club Program).
- 2011: The Math Video Challenge is launched in the fall (as Reel Math Challenge).
- 2012: MATHCOUNTS enters its 30th year.
- 2013: MATHCOUNTS undergoes a rebranding, starting with the 2013-2014 program year.
- 2018: Luke Robitaille of Texas becomes the first ever repeat National Champion on May 14 at the 2018 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition.
- 2022: MATHCOUNTS enters its 40th year.
- 2023: MATHCOUNTS revamps the National Math Club to combine the National Math Club and the Math Video Challenge into one program.
- At the 2013 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition, 325 MATHCOUNTS students, coaches and volunteers set a Guinness World Record for the fastest time to create a human formation of the first 25 rows of Pascal's Triangle. Pictured above, the task was completed in just 6 minutes, 16.57 seconds.
- The MATHCOUNTS Foundation has been recognized in White House ceremonies by Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, William J. Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald W. Reagan, and has received two White House citations as an outstanding private sector initiative.
- During the 2011 BoardSource Leadership Forum, the MATHCOUNTS Foundation was awarded Honorable Mention in the Prudential Leadership Awards for Outstanding Nonprofit Boards.
- In 2015, WestEd recognized MATHCOUNTS as having one of the nation's most effective STEM learning programs, listing the Math Video Challenge as an Accomplished Program in STEMworks.
- MATHCOUNTS programs were recognized annually on the National Association of Secondary School Principals' National List of Approved Contests, Programs and Activities for Students until the List was phased out in 2023.
- MATHCOUNTS is recognized by Charity Navigator as a 4-star charity, indicating the Foundation "exceeds industry standards and outperforms most charities in its Cause."
- MATHCOUNTS received the Platinum Seal of Transparency, the highest level of recognition offered by Candid.
- MATHCOUNTS was included in Great Nonprofits' 2022 Top Rated List.
- MATHCOUNTS has received the America's Best Charities Best in America Seal.