Animation Type: Computer Illustrated, Static Images.
Original Handbook Problem: The number of E. coli bacteria in a rich medium is increasing at a rate of 50% every 3 hours. How many hours does it take for 960 bacteria to increase to 4860 bacteria? (2013-14 Problem #206)
Why the PolyMa+hema+1c5 Team got high scores in real-world application:
- They add a story about a president becoming ill to expand on the real-world scenario in the original problem (E. coli bacteria increasing in number) and make it their own.
- The real-world application makes sense within the context of their story and doesn’t feel forced.
What else the judges liked:
- Fun and colorful student-made animation.
- Simply done, but straightforward and well-communicated solution.
- Effective use of time, even with a short video.
- Student-written humor like the dramatic music (0:20 and 1:05), thought bubble with a smartphone (0:37) and “I Survived” cape (2:55).