Original Handbook Problem: Spike can dig 8 holes in 3 hours. Butch can dig 7 holes in 4 hours. Lucky can dig 6 holes in 5 hours. How many minutes will it take them to dig 3 holes if all three work together? Express your answer to the nearest whole number. (2018-19 Problem #190)
Why the Fibonacci Girls Team got high scores in creativity:
- They add a story about the dog Olympics to expand on the real-world scenario in the original problem (dogs digging holes) and make it their own.
- Silly costumes of the dogs (0:01-0:12) and jail wardens (0:55-1:12), plus creative use of space create a whimsical but realistic looking “dog jail.”
- Small creative details like having dogs speak in different languages and accents because it’s the Olympics (0:24-0:42 and 1:21-1:45), featuring a real-life police officer guest star (0:14) and a slow-motion escape add to their story.
What else the judges liked:
- Clearly explained solution that is easy to understand.
- Real-world application that makes sense within the context of their story and doesn’t feel forced.